Checklist for candidates
Before the expedition, check:
Are all my details on OSM up to date, including health and emergency contacts?
Should I discuss with leaders whether to let members of my group know about, for example:
- My allergy to nuts (etc)? [They need to plan their food …]
- That I carry an adrenaline auto-injector (eg EpiPen)? [Where do I keep it? Should they know how to use it?]
- That I have diabetes? [Planning food, time to myself, managing energy use…]
Have I packed my personal medication?
- Prescription medicines etc in original containers (make sure this is listed on OSM) including adrenaline auto-injectors (like EpiPens), inhalers, medicines for allergies …
- Other medicines/products I can normally take in original containers
- Suitable plasters, antiseptic etc for my own use – see Personal First Aid Kit under Kit List
- Do I have enough, including spares?
Hand gel [available throughout journey]
Blister plasters, like Compeed?
Insect repellent and midge net
Sun block to suit my skin type
Sanitary products [Strenuous exercise can lead to an unexpected period.]
A case/box to keep glasses safe in tent
Suitable clothes, including hat(s), gloves, buff etc [for all likely weather conditions]
FOOD and WATER
Do I have enough food to provide the energy I need? [3000 calories per day, average]
Do I have plenty of snacks to eat during the day?
Do I have suitable bottles/carriers for 2 litres per day. Will I always be able to reach my water?
Is it properly adjusted to fit me comfortably when loaded?
Have I discussed with my walking group what group kit I will supply/carry?
Have I thought where everything will go?
Is it too heavy? [Maximum recommended is 25% of body weight; allow for 2 litres of water.]