Basic Training Week 2
Module 2- Sunday 14th February
Here are some slides used on 14 February. You can go through them to help you remember what you learned.
Here is the link to the Scouts DofE kit list – just remember you don’t need to buy everything!
Download OS Locate free
Preparing for Module 3
- Access it with help from slides and video eDofE Mapping and OS Locate app
- Read instructions
- Try it – you won’t break it
- Watch two short videos by Steve Backshall, an outdoors instructor.
Map features project
Take photos of features on the map of your local area. You can work with a friend.
Note the grid reference for each feature as 2 letters + 6 figures: eg NT 123 456.
Save them together and we will ask you to upload them later. Work out the best way of doing this for you: keep them in a folder, tag them, name the photo as below … If you keep a checklist, you will see what you have done. You might be able to add a link to the relevant photo.
NT 123 456
Here are two DofE documents you should know about, though you don’t have to read them all at once. We referred to both of them in Module 1.
This explains what the Assessor will be checking.
This gives details of what we have to cover, under the following headings:
- First aid and emergency procedures
- An awareness of risk and health and safety issues
- Navigation and route planning
- Preparatory map skills
- Practical map skills
- Compass skills
- Campcraft, equipment and hygiene
- Food and cooking
- Countryside and Highway Codes
- Observation recording and presentations
- Team building
- Proficiency in the mode of travel – walking