Module 1 - Sunday 7th February
Preparing for Module 2
If possible, find an OS map – either Explorer or Landranger will do – to use when learning about maps. Your own area would be best, but it doesn’t really matter.
- Watch two short videos by Steve Backshall, an outdoors instructor.
- Go through this OS page about the National Grid which contains some video material.
Open the Map Symbols Quiz and read the instructions on the first page.
You can work through it yourself but it would be better – and more fun! – to work with a friend or two.
As always when you are learning something, it is better to do two or three short spells than one long one.
Make a list of the kit you think you will need for an expedition:
- For yourself
- For the group
Work with one or more friends, if you can, to share ideas. Have your list ready for the meeting next week.
Here are two DofE documents you should know about, though you don’t have to read them all at once. We referred to both of them in Module 1.
This explains what the Assessor will be checking.
This gives details of what we have to cover, under the following headings:
- First aid and emergency procedures
- An awareness of risk and health and safety issues
- Navigation and route planning
- Preparatory map skills
- Practical map skills
- Compass skills
- Campcraft, equipment and hygiene
- Food and cooking
- Countryside and Highway Codes
- Observation recording and presentations
- Team building
- Proficiency in the mode of travel – walking